Wednesday, October 21, 2009

My indoor TV Attenna hooks up to my DVD recorder that has a built in Digital tunor, will I be ok come 2009?

I don't have cable in my room, just regular channels. My DVD recorder has a built in digital tunor, which makes the channels come in clear. The channels are DTV, so will I still need a box, or will i be ok.

My indoor TV Attenna hooks up to my DVD recorder that has a built in Digital tunor, will I be ok come 2009?
(This answer assumes you are located in the US)





Yes, if your DVD recorder has a digital tuner (meaning it can currently tune in digital broadcasts) it will still do so after the analog stations shut down on 2/17/09.





On 2/18/09 you will want to have your recorder rescan for digital channels, because once the analog stations shut down, some digital stations are changing the frequencies they broadcast on.





This frequencies change over on 2/18/09 will cause an antenna problem for a small number of people. If you still use the same antenna that you used for analog broadcasts, this probably will not effect you. And if none of your current analog channels are VHF (channels 2-13), it's unlikely that you would be effected either.





But if you bought a new "HDTV antenna" (or some similar marketing BS term), you might have a problem.





The reason is that during our current period when both analog a digital broadcasts are going on, many stations with analog #2-13 are actually transmitting their digital signals in the UHF band (analog channels 14-69). When the analog transmitters shut down, many of these stations will switch to sending out their digital broadcasts on their original VHF frequency.





Many so called "HDTV antennas" are really UHF only antennas. They will not work very well on stations that switch their digital broadcasts back to their original analog frequency after 2/17/09.



myspace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive