Sunday, March 14, 2010

I want to find a device that hooks to a USB port that will detect pressure.?

I'm looking for some kind of USB 'button' or 'pressure detector' that will let me query it through software.


I want to write (for instance) a program that will tell me if anybody has come into my room while I was gone by detecting the pressure change on a floor mat.


I need to find this pressure-checking USB item or maybe some kind of more generalized USB electronics experimentation kit that'll allow me to build my own.

I want to find a device that hooks to a USB port that will detect pressure.?
Omega makes all kinds of sensors for darn near any platform or connection. If they don't have it no one will.





Even if you have to build it your self, these people have the parts.





http://www.omega.com/
Reply:Not sure about a USB device, but if you can figure out how to design the switch yourself, you could attach it to your parallel port or the joystick plug-in, I think... it should not be too difficult.





A joystick is basically two variable resistors... just get a cheap one, take it apart, look at which wires are used, and connect a resistor and switch between two of them instead of the variable resistor... you can use the same plug that came with the joystick. You might need to splice more cord to make it long enough, though. Then your program just needs to check the position of the joystick... depending on the state of the switch, the joystick will appear to be slammed to one way or the other.



neutral skin tone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive